PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder. If you witness violence, crimes, natural disasters, accidents, war or other traumatic conflicts you can develop PTSD. Having PTSD feels like you are constantly being haunted by memories that you do not wish to remember. A smell, word or even a sound can remind you of the event. It feels like it is happening all over again.
`Signs you have PTSD:
- Have trouble sleeping
- Have a blank stare (like staring into space)
- Avoid certain places, people or things that remind them of the event
- Feel very anxious and jumpy which can lead to being irritable
- They may abuse substances to help them forget the event
- They may distance themselves from others
- They always feel like something bad is about to happen
If you do not seek out help from a trained professional, it could lead to anxiety, depression or even substance abuse. Please reach out to Family Services of Toronto [https://familyservicetoronto.org/] to find a counsellor near you.
For more information: